Today is the day for the election of candidates that fight for the place in Students Representative Council (SRC 07/08). Wish all of you “happy selecting the true leaders”. Things may seem running smoothly.
But then, there are few things that may distract the “clean path” of the election until today. Rumors about candidate A been spread off. People backbiting others that do not bring the same idea. It is sad to hear one “jemaah” fight with bad words to the other “jemaah”.
We as students should be able to distinguish between the fight for political issues and the fight for the right of student. Do not be the one that been interfered by the gloomy thought of someone that may be misunderstood. Again, do not judge a book by its cover. This is the day that we should cooperate, not fighting with each other. Tighten up the ukhuwwah, not breaking it apart. If not, it will be better to not having this election!
Remember it is our own duty to select the leader that;
1. A leader should be realistic; his messages and demands should not be in contradiction with the realities of life. He should consider the condtions surrounding him and his community as they actually are. He should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages he has.
2. A leader should be convinced of the truth of the message he conveys to people. He should never falter in his convictions and be resolute in conveying his message without renunciation.
3. A leader should be courageous in nature. Even left alone to himself, he should find in himself as much courage as to resist all the difficulties he might encounter.
4. A leader should have a strong will-power and resolve and never fall into hopelessness.
5. A leader should be aware of his responsibility and nothing should be able to prevent him from fulfilling it. Especially the charms of the world and attractions of life should not be able to intervene between him and his responsibility.
6. A leader should be far-sighted and have determined his goal well. He should have the mental capacity to discern the developments he might encounter in the future. He should also able to evaluate the past, the present and the future together and reach new syntheses. A leader who frequently changes opinion causes rifts and disagreements among his community.
7. A leader should know the members of his community individually. He should have discovered each of them with their dispositions, character, abilities, shortcomings, ambitions and weak points. This will enable him particularly to make the best choice in his appointments to important offices.
8. A leader should have a strong character and be equipped with praiseworthy virtues. He should be determined in carrying out his decisions but capable of flexibility; he should know when to unyielding and implacable; when to be relenting and compassionate. He should be earnest and dignified but also modest. He should be upright, truthful, trustworthy and just.
9. A leader should not cherish worldly ambitions and abuse his authority. He should live like one who is poorest of his community and never discriminating among his subjects. He should love all of them, prefer them over himself and be able to make himself loved by them sincerely. He should be faithful to his community and be able to secure their loyalty and devotion.
Should be, as a matured student and adult, we can differentiate the good and bad things.
Happy selecting the true leaders.
Prophet Muhammad, upon him be peace and blessings, for all the qualities a leader is supposed to have.